Friday, August 27, 2010

8 First Week Of School Tips

Monday the 23rd of August was the dreadful first day of the Fall Semester at LSU, which means it's no longer summer and I've been forced to recognize the days of the week.  So for the first time since May,  I'm rejoicing because it's FRIDAY!

 Anyway, since it's my 5th semester (uhh seriously, where is the time going?!) I've come up with a short list of tips for the first week of school.  Take it or leave it.  Some of my things apply specifically to LSU, but probably make sense any other school as well.


  • Don't buy your books before school starts.  Yeah, okay, I know some people get like super stressed about waiting until the last minute to buy books, and if that's your personality, then buy the books early.  But if you're like me and change your mind about everything, you should wait on it.  Every semester so far I have added and dropped classes at the last minute in attempt to give myself a better schedule.  If I'd purchased my books early, I would have had to worry about keeping my receipt and returning them amidst the mayhem of everyone trying to buy books last minute.  That being said...

  • Buy books online.  Seriously? Why would you want to go to a bookstore the first week of school? The lines are ridiculously long,  the stores run out of copies of the books you need, and you have to pay a crazzzyyy sum of money for something you may not even use much.  It's so much easier to just get on Amazon.com, order your books (for a fraction of the price that bookstores offer) and have them delivered to your place in a day or two.  You never even have to leave your living room. Speaking of leaving...

  • Walk everywhere that you can.  Okay, maybe your campus is a low traffic zone, but not LSU.   It took my roommates and me almost an hour to get from the north gates of campus to the Co-Op.  I mean, I know most of you don't know what I'm talking about, but that's not a very far distance.  Traffic sucks.  And everyone can use a little extra exercise.  

  • Bond with your roommates!  I really think this is an important thing to do.  Whether they've been your roommates for years, or it's your first time meeting each other, take the time to hang out with them.  I missed my roommates so much! They are my best friends, and after not seeing them a lot over the summer, I was so excited to finally get to hang out.  We took advantage of not having much homework by playing board games every night which may not sound like the coolest thing to do, but we had so much fun! Board games not your scene?  Don't fret, just find something you and your roommates all enjoy. 

  • Don't let yourself get behind in school.  Sure, it's easy to be lazy the first week of school, but just because you don't have any tests doesn't mean you need to cut class or skip out on doing homework.  It's so easy to just review your notes a few times, and it's actually really helpful. If you study a little bit every day, you won't have to cram everything into your brain the night before a test.

  • Study during the day.  Okay so this applies to every week of school, not just the first one.  I know it's tempting to get out of class, head straight to your apartment, and lay on the couch watching E! for three hours, but trust me on this one: getting your studying done during the day is such a good idea. The things you learned in class will still be fresh in your head, and you won't have to worry about being too tired to study later in the evening.

  • Get some sleep.  Okay, I get it, most college kids like to party all night and whatnot, even though they have 9 AM classes.  I don't want to sound like a Mom or anything, but you need sleep.  If you are used to staying up late in the summer, take a Melatonin to help get your sleep cycle on track.  I mean, you know that during midterm week you're probably never going to get any sleep, so you might as well get as much as you can now.

  • Keep an eye out for clubs and organizations you may want to join.  It's a new semester, so it's a perfect opportunity for you to get involved in school.  There are so many options, it would be hard not to find something that you're interested in.  If you love traveling, maybe you can sign up to Study Abroad or even participate in a National Exchange Program.  If you want to help people, there are so many opportunities.  I was part of the Best Buddies Program last year, and it was such a great experience.  I can't wait to find something new to try this year!

 So that's my tips.  Hope they are beneficial to someone.

Bye
:]

1 comment: