Saturday, December 5, 2009

Fangs and Fashion

With my 3 year Twilight Saga obsession, I thought I would never have room in my heart for any vampires other than those of the Cullen clan. This thought turned out to be a complete misconception, and thanks to my roommate, Megan, I have a new obsession with the CW hit show, The Vampire Diaries. The storyline is completely different from Twilight. It is scary and unpredictable and I LOVE IT! The show (if you don't already know) is mainly focused on two vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon Salvatore, who have been around since the Civil War times. One thing that is not a huge focus of the show is fashion. Not that I'm trying to bash the way the characters dress, they dress well, but I'm just trying to get the point across that The Vampire Diaries is no Sex in the City or Gossip Girl. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Episode 6, which contains flashbacks to before Stefan and Damon were turned into vampires. They were both in love with a girl named Katherine. The flashback showed footage of when the brothers first met her, and when she stepped out of her carriage, I was in awe. Her outfit was gorgeous! Even her servant was dressed beautifully.

Photobucket


Photobucket


I love vintage and vintage inspired clothing. Although I am usually more interested in trends from the 1960's and 1970's, who can deny how beautiful Katherine is dressed? I used her style as inspiration to make an outfit similar to hers with a modern twist.





In this set of clothes, some of the items are really expensive (like the $200+ hat!), but they can be found for much cheaper with a little effort. For example, today I went to Stein Mart to get a Christmas gift for my Dad and I tried on the most adorable hats which were very similar to the one pictured above, and they were all priced under 30 dollars! There is also a pair of similar shoes on Forever21.com for only 32 dollars. Although the dress isn't floor-length and poufy like Katherine's, it's intricate lace details make it look like something a girl like Katherine would wear if she would time travel to the 21st century.
 
Watch Vampire Diaries on Thursdays at 8/7 Central!

No comments:

Post a Comment